Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Profile Update

I'm still kinda struggling with which way I want to take my profile piece. From the suggestions of my workshop group, it seems like I need to focus more on my subject or provide a lot more information about the city of Flint and how it ended up in its current state. I'm beginning to lean more towards focusing more on the city for a few reasons, though. First, I can do a lot more outside research on the city than I can on Mr. Herm. I could interview any number of people to get a wide variety of opinions or read newspapers or magazine articles. Second, I can provide a much better description of the city than I can of Mr. Herman. Third, it also seemed that even the people who wanted me to focus more on my subject still wanted more information on the city.

So, I may end up rolling with that choice, but we'll see. I've written a bunch of papers on Flint before, and I was looking forward to focusing more on my subject for this paper. It should be interesting to see which way I end up going with.

2 comments:

Leifeezy said...

If you are wondering whether to profile Flint or Mr. Herm I would rather read about Mr. Herman. Doing a profile on a big city like Flint would take a TON of research. I think it's ok to focus more on the city but, just use Mr. Herm to propel the story and don't take away from his character development.

Miss Ro said...

I would do a combination of the two. Use the character of Mr. Herman as an advocate for change for and within the city. Tell the story of Mr. Herman within the context of the city. Keep working Dave. The story has a ton of potential and a lot of room to work.